The First Zoo established in September 19 th, 1864 in Batavia ( Jakarta right now ) named “ Planten en Dierentuin” and operated by Association of Flo-ra & Fauna Lover at Batavia ( Culture Vereneging Planten en Dierentuin et Batavia).
The Zoo areas are 10 hectare on Jalan Cikini Raya 73 and granted by Raden Saleh The famous of painter of Indonesia on that time.
After Indonesian gained freedom, in 1949 the name was changed become Kebun Binatang Cikini ( Cikini Zoo )
The site at Cikini area had become too small and was not suited to the vision. At the Dr. Soemarmo’s Jakarta Goverment era was formed Institution Preparing Development of the Zoo to moving from Jalan Cikini Raya 73 to Ragunan, Pasar Minggu, South Jakarta that lead by T.H.E.W Umboh, DVM. Jakarta’s Goverment granted 30 hectare area at Ragunan, Pasar Minggu, South Jakarta around 20 km far from central of the city. Moving from cikini to Ragunan carrying out more than 450 last specimen of Cikini Zoo collection.
Formally opening of the zoo at June, 22nd, 1966 by the governoor of capital Jakarta Mayor Jenderal Ali Sadikin named Taman Margasatwa Ragunan.
In 1974 Taman Margasatwa Ragunan lead by first director Mr. Benjamín Gaulstaun.
in 1983 the name was changed to Badan Pengelola Kebun Binatang (BLUD).
in 2001 the name was changed to Kantor Taman Margasatwa Ragunan
in 2009 the name was changed to UPT ( Unit Pelayanan Teknis ) Taman Margasatwa Ragunan
in 2010 the name was changed to BLUD ( Badan Layanan Umum Daerah ) Taman Margasatwa Ragunan. The current area of Taman Margasatwa Ragunan reached 147 hectare over 2101 animals with 220 different species.